Art and Artisans
The Outback Way Art and Artisan trail captures the diversity of the Art and Artistic talents.
Celebrating the Arts and Artisans – happen throughout the year – you may like to plan your trip around these events:
- 29th June- 7th July: The Vision Splendid Outback Film Festival – www.visionsplendidfilmfest.com.au – 2018 theme- The Open Road.
- June 29 – July 2, 2018 Alice Springs- Beanie Festival http://www.beaniefest.org
- 1st Week July Winton Opal Festival- Winton Tourism Centre P: 07 4657 1466 http://www.qboa.com.au/tradeshow/
- 30th August to 9th September 2018- Alice Desert Festival-Alice Springs Phone: 08 8952 2392 Email: 67BathST@redhotarts.com.au Check web for details: https://desfest.com
- Thursday, September 6, 2018 – 17:30 to Sunday, October 21, 2018 – 16:00 The Desert Mob Exhibition- Araluen Art Centre Alice Springs, including Exhibition, Symposium and Market Place, is an opportunity to view new developments in Aboriginal art, to meet the artists, listen to their stories and share their culture in the heart of their country. Art from throughout Central Australia.
THE ART TRAIL ALONG THE OUTBACK WAY
The local Artwork in the Boulia Hotel is by Carol Anderson and Indigenous Art is hanging at Bob Spilsbury’s – Waddi Tree Souvenir shop.. there are soapmakers and silversmiths on stations around Boulia- so you may be lucky enough to find local souvenirs at the Min Min Encounter.
Winton – if you are looking for a shiny momento- go no further than the Winton Opal & Gems- 59 Elderslie St ( Main St) owned by Bruno & Steve Tasic- ask Bruno about his early days with GHD surveying the Plenty Highway from Alice Springs to Boulia. The Gems and Opal store can set your gems for you in store. https://www.wintonopalgems.com/
There is local Artwork, handy work and craftsmanship in the local CWA shop a few doors down.
Gem Tree– travelling east on the Plenty Highway – Gem Tree is another ideal location to pick up a nice Garnet or Zirconia- you can find it yourself or choose one from the Gem Shop… settings can be designed and completed in store- stay few days- enjoy the delicious camp oven dinner on Wednesday and Saturday nights and enjoy the rather unique glimpse of what life was like for the pioneers in the desert.
Alice Springs- well the list of Art Galleries is significant in the Indigenous artwork hub- works come from all the surrounding communities – well worth a day of doing the Galleries in Alice Springs.
Tjanpi Desert Weavers – indigenous baskets- head to 3 Wilkinson St, Alice Springs NT 0870
Opening Hours: Mon-Fri 10am – 4pm
Our Phone: 08 8958 2377
Our Email:email@example.com Facebook:www.facebook.com/Tjanpi
Curtin Springs Station– Share the Wonders of our Home
This is a must see- Lyndee Severin and her daughter Amy have created a truly unique paper making experience. They have mastered the art of making paper out of native grasses, this paper than becomes packaged into notepaper, jewellery under resin, sculptures and artworks.. truly an exceptional hands-on experience- you can make your own. Curtin Springs offers accommodation so stay a day or so and enjoy the history of the station.
Yulara Resort- whether you are staying under millions of stars or 5 stars… you can enjoy the various cultural experiences in the Town Square-
- Join Local Anangu artists and create your own dot painting in 1.5hrs Morning and Afternoon workshops- maruku.com.au 0499829635 Yulara Town Square 08 8956 2153
- Bush Tucker Journeys- Daily Bush Food workshops- talk with your Hotel reception.
- Bruce Munro’s Field of Lights- book yourself on the $85 evening bus- drinks and Canapes- at sunset at Uluru and then at dark watch the desert dunes light up! ( until March 2018)
- Mani-Mani Indigenous Cultural Theatre at the Arkani Theatre- Cultural Theatre performances – book at your Hotel reception. Wednesday to Sundays..11am and 2pm .
Docker River Art Centre– recently opened art centre in Docker River just near the NT/ WA border.
As the only business venture in Tjukurla ( Docker River), Tjarlirli Art is providing much needed income and employment in this remote town of approximately 40 people. As a member of Desart and Western Desert Mob (www.westerndesertmob.com.au ) the art centre has a strong mandate to provide training and skills development for its members and opportunities for indigenous artists to travel and participate in Industry events of all kinds. http://tjarlirliart.com/tjarlirli-artists 08 89567777
Warakurna Artists and Roadhouse Gallery–
Warakurna has a long history of artistic expression. In March 2005 the Art Centre studio was opened amid much enthusiasm and excitement. The Art Centre is fully owned and governed by Aboriginal people and provides services to artists living in and visiting Warakurna and the nearby community of and Wanarn. Find the wonderful works in the Warakurna Roadhouse. http://warakurnaartists.com.au (0)8 8955 8099 firstname.lastname@example.org
Warburton Art Gallery
The largest collection of indigenous artwork in Australia and beautiful gallery space to display selected artwork. Painted and blown glass works are also a must see contact Gary Proctor Art Project Director Mobile 0430 546 096 Email email@example.com
Wilurarra Creative- Warburton
Wilurarra Creative is a one-of-a-kind program. It facilitates a diverse range of creative programs and provides space for self directed learning for Ngaanyatjarra people aged 17-30.
Part arts space, part library, part internet café, part hair salon, part music studio, part workshop: All creativity, all community. Wilurarra Creative is bursting at the seams; full of people, ideas and action. http://www.wilurarra.com.au PHONE: 08 89540125
Laverton Outback Art Gallery- Augusta Street, Laverton (next to the Desert Inn Hotel)
Laverton Outback Gallery is run on a co-operative basis by a not-for-profit organization, where artists receive up to 80% of the price of the artwork. The gallery was established in 2002 to display, promote and sell authentic Aboriginal art on behalf of the people of the Laverton and Western Desert areas. The gallery is open Monday to Friday 8am – 4pm
http://www.laverton-outback-gallery.com.au Ph: 08 9031 1395